Look up the world

Wednesday 8 June 2022

June 8th 2022

So, now a bit of time has passed and things have settled down, its time to tke stock of what "retirement" entails

Since my March update I have learnt that I'm not on an extended work break. My time is my time - I can really do what I want (within reason) and that feels great. Speaking with similarly long standing colleagues, the cynicism has become overwhelming and seems there's a lot of unhappy bunnies at the workplace just now. OS has lost it's way with how it treats it's staff and really isn't listening to those at the coal face.

I wrote to the CEO to explain my upset at not hearing ANYTHING official from them despite 37+ yrs there. A crappy apology and an acknowledgement that they could have handled things better was about it.

I really should let it go but I do feel sorry for so many friends that are in the difficult time of wanting to finish but maybe need another 2-3 yrs to get finances right.

Finance is starting to weigh on my mind as things move forward. Cost of everything is spiralling eg diesel now nearly £2/litre - was as low as about £1.10  during pandemic. My electric bill was nearly £200 last month and only £70 for same period last year. I'm not too proud or lazy or stubborn to have to go out and earn a few quid if needed though I'd like to think I shouldn't have to

My/our problems are in truth rather small compared to many who are struggling to get by and it's desperately sad that violence in central Europe seems to be ongoing with such a needless conflict affecting so many people. That on top of being governed by a lying useless buffoon makes the future a little bleak

But - summer's on the way (it's raining just now), the sea is warming up. Rosie is soon to be home for a few months and Jenny seems happy, which makes me happy. Malaga was a lovely trip even if the weather was bit rough. Can't see us having another lavish family hols for a while together but there's plenty of other good things on the calendar to look forwards to. DG will now be counting down the days to the end of term. Time will fly by no doubt and it won't seem too long till she's able to make the same decision that I did earlier this year

I'm spending many hours in the garden - my polytunnel - a surprisingly good purchase - has been great and we should soon be able to feed the whole district as long as they like tomatoes and chillies. The weekly rides, the sea swims, fishing, walking and still watching loads of football. I'm a lucky boy 

No comments:

Post a Comment